Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Magic Happens Butterfly mobile

First of all, Happy Valentine's day to all my lovely readers!  
Todays project is a butterfly mobile, using the gorgeous Magic Happens Collection from Kaisercraft.  
I have a similar butterfly mobile already, so I used it to trace a pattern onto an empty cardboard box.
Using a craft knife, I carefully cut out 2 wings, a body and a smaller butterfly for the "pull".
I then used the "spirit" paper to cover one side of the wings, and both sides of the little butterfly. I used "potion" to cover both sides of the body.
 Just to add a bit extra fanciness, I stamped and embossed the flourish from the Magic Happens Stamp set, using Ranger's Perfect Medium stamp pad, and opalescent (sparkly!) embossing powder.  Perfect medium is great because it stays tacky for a bit longer than many other mediums, allowing a bit more time for you to put your embossing powder on, and still get a good coverage.
 The other side of the butterfly's wings, I covered in some plain blue paper.  I then cut out a design from the "potion" paper, and glued that down carefully.  
 I also added some bling, and some pearl strips, as well as going over some of the flourishes with my Sakura Glaze pen (it's amazing - it's like Glossy Accents, but in a biro!) to give it a bit more texture.  I edged all my cut out shapes with a fine line of kindyglitz, to help it catch the light a bit.
All the pieces are fixed together with fishing line, and I covered an old hacksaw blade in ribbon to make the top bar.  (yep, I'm lazy, but it worked!) I also made a set of antennae for the butterfly from a scrap of copper wire.
 It's very hard to photograph to try and show the movement, but when you pull the "puller" at the bottom, the wings of the butterfly flap gently. 
Something a bit different, and I think, kinda cute.  What do you think?

No comments: