Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Time for some cake!

When a friend of mine said that she was getting married, I volunteered to make her and her fiancee a wedding cake.  I hadn't done one before but I thought, what the heck, I'll have a go! 
After talking to them, we worked out that they wanted a chocolate cake with buttercream icing, and the rest was up to me.  I enlisted the help of my sister Lisa, who provided an extra set of hands, and acted as official cake photographer for the day.  :)
One whole night, and three double batches of cake mix later, we were ready to start with the fun bit. 
I stacked the two 10 inch cakes together, sandwiched with a nice layer of chocolate buttercream, and did the same with two 8 inch cakes. To assemble the wedding cake, I crumb coated, and then frosted both cakes first, making the buttercream as smooth as I could.   
After that I inserted skewers into the base cake to support the top layer (which i had placed on a separate cake board, and iced over).  Then, using an extra pair of hands (Thanks Lisa!) we were able to place the top cake onto the base.  A bit more smoothing of the white icing, and then the nerve wracking bit began! 

Hand piping lots of watermelon pink flourishes! I worked in small designs around the cake, filling in here and there as I went around. 

Lucky you can't see my hands shaking in these pictures! :)

And voila! Finished cake.  We added a smattering of mini cachous just to "bling" it up a little bit as well. 

Congratulations to Marty and Wendy Sheather!

No comments: